Thursday 29 July 2010

Minsmere

As we approached the car-park at Minsmere, Suffolk, we were greeted with a lovely vista of green; a strip of sea under a wide blue sky... 

Minsmere, hidden away in the wilds of Suffolk, is a varied habitat - wetlands, heath, sea and woods. Owned and managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), some of the local 'star' species are Avocets, Bitterns and Marsh Harriers. This is the view of of 'the scrape', as seen from one of the bird hides. 

Comfortable in the company of my fellow Ragged Rambler, The Norfolk Dandy, I strolled the short walk to the shore. Sitting here I enjoyed the visual contrasts: billions of pebbles, the waves and the clouds which moved serenely by. 

I felt completely relaxed as I passed the drain ditch and headed out on the path to the reedy wetlands. How petty the concerns of the busy day can seem against a backdrop such as this...

... there, in the distance, was a lovely ruin. To a Ragged Rambler a sight/site such as this is enticing. However, ignoring the sirens' call of the ruin, we continued on. This is one for another day. 


Having enjoyed lunch in the friendly restaurant, we walked to a treetop hide which we ascended. The view was amazing - even if the slight movement which I'm sure I detected was a little unsettling. We clay-footed clod-hoppers can only look with envy on the miracle of flighted creatures. I endeavoured to imagine what a birds-eye view of Minsmere must look like. 

All in all, a wonderful day.

For more information see: 

No comments:

Post a Comment