Thursday 16 August 2012

A Troika of Spires

Sometimes the frisson created by a glimpse of a wonderful site from a distance is enough to, not only set a Ragged Ramblers' heart apace, but to actually quicken their step to a slow jog... 


Imagine then, if you will, my excitement as I saw the dramatic spires of Lichfield Cathedral, rising atop the trees, with the glassy mere before me...


And by the time I turned the corner and saw such a troika of spires against a sumptuous blue sky - why, I was close to tears!


C'est magnifique!

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to Lichfield, but now I have seen your photos, I feel I must visit. Wasn't Lichfield the birthplace of Samuel Johnson as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom,

    Yes, Samuel Johnson was indeed born there. His dad was a bookseller in the city. There's a quirky little museum dedicated to his memory, which is well worth visiting. I'm really glad that these images have whetted your appetite for a visit. A stunning cathedral!

    Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an admirable hero Johnson was. I suppose you know that he carried destitute beggars home on his back (he was about 6' 6" tall and about 18 stone) for a meal, whilst composing his dictionary - much to his house-keeper's chagrin. What an uncommonly nice - if curmudgeonly - man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three spires and three comments which made for a perfect piece of synergy had not I put my oar in. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete