Tuesday 22 December 2020

An Old Map

Here is a c400 year old hand-tinted decorative map of the (mid) east of England that I recently acquired (dimensions = 27x19cm) . It was engraved by Pieter van den Keere (1571-c1646). The dealer described it as dating from  the 1590’s. 

This charming and fascinating map features a notably hilly (!) Norfolk, my adopted county (in the bottom RH corner). It is interesting to note that the area around the fenlands is depicted as it may well appear in the not too distant future ie inundated! Other counties included are: Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Rutland. 

Pieter came to England in 1584, as a Protestant refugee from his home town of Ghent with his sister Colette, who married Jodocus Hondius, in 1587. It was probably from Hondius that Keere learned to engrave. Both engravers left London in 1593 to settle in Amsterdam. Thus, as with so many good and interesting things, this map is very much a product routes traversed. 

Huzzah! 

3 comments:

  1. Here, on Bath's Pulteney Bridge, there is a little shop which deals in antique original maps. I love them and I covet quite a few. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely map, I have one similar but never get a goodlook at it because it's too high up on the wall. Interesting to see that both Sheringham and Holt are on it but not Cromer contrary to many early maps.

    ReplyDelete
  3.  Hello Blog Admin and anyone reading this , I was diagnosed of herpes and Hiv at the age of 24, and it runs my life until I came to know of Dr Itua herbal center- thankfully after drinking Dr itua herbal medicines for two weeks I'm completely cured which really helped me now I've had no limit how much I do massively. I had two jobs, one full time and one part time, have my horse to care for and would also help friends with their horses. Have since had to accept that I only have one job (to take care of my health) and still care for my horse with help... Dr Itua also cures all sorts of chronic illness and diseases like Herpes,Hiv/Aids,Cancer,Kidney Disease,Liver Diseases,Hepatitis,Lupus,HPV,Diabetes,COPD, And other health conditions anyone may have in their body. Dr Itua uses his herbal medicineTo cure those diseases.
    Visit his herbal website www.drituaherbalcenter.com/shop or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com This is an illness I wouldn't wish on my enemy

    ReplyDelete